Banton 2003 Project Tourist Information Contact Us Links
   Barangays


*The Barangays of Banton

Brief histories and facts sheets

(condensed from the Yagting 2000 Almanacand the painstaking research of Vice Mayor Romulo A. Faz Sr.)

The seventeen (17) Barangays of Banton are in many aspects similar to one another yet each one has a unique story to tell. The following account though far from comprehensive maybe sufficient enough to awaken the interest of Bantoanon readers into reflecting about their birth land.

*(this article was lifted from Biniray 2004 Yearbook)

Barangays            Poblacion   Hambian   Tumalum   Lagang


List of Barangays

 Barangays of Banton


Poblacion
Hambian
Tumalum
Lagang

Togong
Banice
Balogo
Mainit

Tungonan
Yabawon
Nasunogan
Libtong

Tan-ag
Sibay
Nabalay
Togbongan
Toctoc

 


 

 

 

 

 


  Barangay Poblacion

  Information

Year Established: 1971
Terrain: flat/level 
Population: 1163
Land Area: 13.39 hectares
Registered Voters: 549
Patron:
  St. Nicolas De Tolentino
Barangay Fiesta: Sept. 9 and 10
Punong Barangay:
  Hon. Leonilo Fadri
 

 

Map of Banton

Poblacion is the latest barangay established in the island and comprises the town proper itself. It is the seat of the municipal government thus it houses the basic public facilities and infrastructures. Over the years the Poblacion has steadily grown from a very rural village into a semi urbanized community. From cogon and nipa thatched houses in the sixties now you see concrete dwellings, complete with modern—day amenities. 

Among the mores significant developments that occurred in the poblacion in the recent years are: The electrification of the town, the improvement of its port facilities and improvement of its public theater and basketball court into becoming one of the province best covered courts to date. Added to these are construction of the new municipal hall, the rehabilitation of the muralla, the erection of the rest house at the cota which used to be the offices of the Banton post office, the conversion of the campanario into a museum and the development of the a park in Hipit. The newest addition is the installation of a repeater facility at Punta Matagar to enhance access to cell phone signals from cell sites in Calatrava and other neighboring towns of the province and Marinduque as well. Now the town is connected to the rest of the world through cell phone and cable tv. 

The poblacion is the showcase of our being the cleanest and greenest town not only in the province but in the region as well. The people have fully internalized cleanliness and orderliness as essential elements of their lives. A visitor in the Poblacion need not worry where to stay as the people would voluntarily offer their homes, as a gesture of Bantoanons hospitality. Every guest is pampered with the amenities the host families can provide including tour guide services to the famous “Guyangan caves” from which were found wooden coffins containing the skeletons of our ancestor and the “ikat” fabric considered the oldest cloth in Southeast Asia.


  Barangay Hambi-an

  Information

Year Established:
Terrain:

  Irregular sloping and rugged
Population:
323
Land Area:
154.945 hectares
Registered Voters:
168
Patron:
 
Nuestra Senora de Candelaria
Barangay Fiesta:
February 2
Punong Barangay:
 
Hon. Jovito F. Fabregas
Primary Occupation/Livelihood:
  tuba gathering
  farming
  weaving
  fishing
 

 

Hambi-an is one of the ten original barrios of Banton and the nearest barangay from the Poblacio. In fact the sitio Tan-ag has become an expansion area of the Poblacion as many people build their homes there. 

There is no written account on how the barangay got its name. Yet many believe that such moniker might have been taken from the nickname of its well respected elder and leader Gabriel Fegalan who was aptly called “Ambi” by the barrio folks. Such famous nickname was later corrupted to Ambi-an, then Hambi-an. 

The barangay consist of Bakoko, Badog, Apayang, Ginsiba and Catarman. It is home for the Fegalans, Fadrilans, Fanos, Fedelicios, Falsados etc. 

Hambi-an remembered for its sweet tasting tuba “Inaga” and is famous for its 122 step stairway to the sky at Piapag and another stairway at Limaw (Odley). It supplies the town with water from Aninipot and hosts the town’s electric power plant at Catarman. Its people enjoy such public facilities such as barangay hall, basketball court, catholic chapel, health center, concrete alleys.


  Barangay Tumalum

  Information

Year Established: 1912
Terrain:

  Terrain: irregular, hilly
Population:
424
Land Area:
160.3513 hectares
Registered Voters:
218
Patron:
 
St. Niño
Barangay Fiesta: J
anuary
Punong Barangay:
 
Hon. Lowell Fallasgon
Primary Occupation/Livelihood:
  farming
  fishing
 

 

Tumalum is the second barangay north of Poblacion. It is the mother of barangay Lagang and one of the original barrios of Banton. 

Its names was derived from asi word “tayum” meaning the sharp edge in English as this place was famous for sharp edged stones then. From then on the barrio folks called their place “Tumayum” and later “Tumalum.” 

In the olden times the people of Tumalum engage in farming but lately they switched to fishing as the monkeys have been very destructive nowadays. The territorial waters of the barangay stretching from Catarman to Gis-ak abounds in fish and marine products. People from Poblacion come to Tumalum for their fish requirements. It is easily accessible as the road from the town is rather flat.

Tumalum has jurisdiction over the sitios of Aningay, Arado, Cabisira,Canrilada, Gumaca, Hipit, Ilada, Solidaw, Tianghin and Centro. Like other barangays it has te basic structures like barangay hall, chapel, elementary school and basketball court.


  Barangay Lagang

  Information

Year Established: 1917
Terrain:

  Irregular, hilly, sloping
Population:
147
Land Area:
127.5 hectares
Registered Voters:
58
Patron:
 
St. Agustin
Barangay Fiesta:
August 28
Punong Barangay:
 
Hon. Beatriz F. Famadico
Primary Occupation/Livelihood:
  farming
 
weaving
 
fishing
 

 

From a sitio of Barangay Tumalum, Lagang became a regular barrio in 1917 though the efforts of its pioneering elders Basilio Fabroa, Hermogenes Fabayos and Severino Fesalbon. 

Its name was derived from the edible native seashell “Yagang” which thrived abundantly in its territorial waters long before the Americans came. Such seashell meat became a delicacy among the barrio folks and its shell sold to merchants. Too bad one can hardly find this rare seashell nowadays. What are left are the smaller version called “bulal-is” and “taktakon.” 

Public facilities available in the barangay are concrete rainwater collectors for water supply, Barangay Hall, Social Hall, Catholic Chapel, daycare center, and basketball court. 

Lagang has seven sitios namely, Bagakay, Mayahog, Tubigan, Tinago, Ratag, Cogon, Otoy, Andungog(Tansa) and Gisk-ak.

 

top page

About Banton Barangays Tourist Information Festivals and Events News and Views (Silak) Banton 2003 Projects
Guestbook Yahoogroup Contact Us Links

Hits

 3118374

Copyright (c) 2004-2017, All rights reserved Powered by a * Yagting Web Service Provider